Thursday 25 September 2014

Top Tips for Coping with Night Shifts

So this is a blog post I have wanted to write for some time and thankfully the moment has arrived! I hope you find it of some interest/use. The tips and strategies that follow with respect to coping with night work are a combination of my thoughts and tips gathered from members of the Veterinary ECC Small Talk community via email – THANKS so much to those who contributed. Right, let’s get on with it…


DISCLAIMER: Before we do, I should say that I totally realise that this all sounds a bit idealistic and I am the first to admit that during my ECC career I have not always used these strategies, certainly not all of them all of the time. And moreover we are not all the same and some people find that strategies that work great for some people do not work for them, and vice versa. Obviously you need to do what works best for you…but also please take a moment and think about your routine – are you sure it can’t be improved upon?

1) Be prepared:

When approaching a run of night shifts, try to prepare by building up a sleep reserve; this can be helped for example by doing some physical activity beforehand then you could, e.g.

  • Stay up really late (at least 3am – 6am) the night before then sleep for the majority of the day before your first nightshift.
  • Or, go to bed as usual the night before, sleep in until late morning, have a big feed for lunch then go back to sleep for an afternoon nap.


2) Drink plenty of water during your shifts:

This is one that came up a lot in the feedback. It is not always easy but oh so important to stay hydrated. For example have a big water bottle that is well placed and easily accessible so having a drink does not seem really time consuming! I am willing to budge on some of the other tips in this blog but not this one! Drinking enough water is important people!

3) Plan your caffeine and go easy:

This is another one that came up a fair bit. Overall the take-home message seems to be to go easy on the caffeine. Firstly it can contribute to dehydration and if you are not consuming enough water as well, this becomes a desiccating vicious circle! Secondly if you have caffeine in the later stages of your shift  this can reduce your chances of sleeping when you do get to bed…and so you are more tired….and so you drink more caffeine etc etc.! How about a coffee when you wake up, when you get to work and maybe mid-way through the shift then stop? Make it good coffee and make some for the whole team – obviously! Seriously, if you stay hydrated, get enough rest in the day and do some exercise, you should not need to be caning the super-strength coffee/energy drinks relentlessly!

4) EAT!

We have all been there, trust me, when **** is hitting the fan and even getting water seems out of the question, so who the hell has time to eat right? Uh, wrong! ‘Eat while typing notes’ seemed to come up a fair bit. It’s important and very much helped by being prepared. Junk food is oh so easy and accessible but so not the answer! Before your run of night shifts, get your ‘proper’ healthy food organised, including meals that can easily be re-heated or eaten cold. I am no nutritionist and I am not about to start recommending what you should be eating but go easy on the sugary junk high in ‘bad’ fats!

5) If you get a break, use it!

I am not going to get into the legalities etc. of this but in theory everyone is entitled to some sort of break during a night shift. If you are able to take one, use it. Some people like to have a power nap (I love them!), others like to take a walk, or have some distraction (e.g. TV). Working non-stop without a break can actually make you less and less efficient – it is a bit of a false economy sometimes to just keep ‘powering through’ and taking a short break can bring you back firing on all cylinders again.

6) When it comes to going home time, if you feel too tired to drive, please don’t!

We have all heard stories of people who have driven home falling asleep at the wheel, sometimes nearly having an accident with potentially disastrous consequences. In fact some of you may have had or know people who have had accidents. I know this sounds like a sermon but driving when you are too tired to do so safely is not big and it is not clever! Can you get a taxi? Can someone come to collect you? Can someone drop you home? Indeed, is there somewhere you can sleep at work?

7) Have some ‘breakfast’ before bed:

Opinions and preferences vary here in terms of what people like to eat. For some it is normal breakfast food, for others it is more the sorts of food you might usually eat in the evening. BUT the bottom line is again, try and stay on the healthy side, don’t eat foods and especially large amounts which will interfere with you falling asleep. No curry and beer in the morning! And many people like something that is quick and easy and does not delay sleep for too long.



8) When you do get to bed, take steps to ensure that you can sleep well, fall into refreshing deep sleep:

As far as possible, keep interruptions to a minimum from family – including the furry kind! Get uber curtains that keep as much light out as possible; or use some other means of covering the windows, e.g. black out blinds; or get an eye patch. Unless absolutely necessary, get rid of all devices such as mobile phones or tablets from your room; they can be such an intrusion on sleep! And if needs be, get some ear plugs for noise cancellation.

9) Go easy/stay off the alcohol:

Yes it can relax you after a crazy shift – tick. Yes it can help you to get to sleep – tick. But it can also stop you from getting quality sleep and therefore exacerbate tiredness. Have one drink before bed if you must, but stop there!

10) Exercise:

This is something else that came up a lot in the feedback, the importance of trying to fit in some exercise. Some people like to do this at the end of a shift to help unwind and help with sleeping; others like to do it when they wake up to invigorate before going to work. It does not have to be for very long and it does not have to be super-hardcore. Just do some physical activity in-between shifts!

11) Try to keep the days free for sleeping:

I know this one can be a real challenge especially for parents where kids need taking care of (!) but as far as possible don’t make ‘unnecessary’ commitments for the days when you are working nights. Can those things wait until your nights shifts are over before the next stint?


And look seriously if you really find night work too much, too exhausting, too debilitating…think seriously about whether it is for you. Depression is more common than we care to admit and this sort of work can be a factor in either causing or at least exacerbating that. If you are worried or struggling, get some help; there are plenty of places not least your doctor.

Okay, well that’s it from me. If any of you have any other tips or coping strategies or don’t agree with some of what I have said, I would love to hear from you so get in touch!

PS. I decided not to talk about transitioning to day shifts again – the so-called ‘turnaround’ – as the blog is already quite long. There are different ways of turning around and do feel free to share comments about that too.

Wait! Before you go, if you would like a FREE PDF copy of these tips, just...

Click Here to Receive

15 comments:

  1. I accept there are numerous more pleasurable open doors ahead for people that took a gander at your site.
    fire and safety engineering course in chennai

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my first time i visit here and I found so many interesting stuff in your blog especially it's discussion, thank you. Pure balance dog food

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really thank you for the valuable info on this great subject and look forward to more great posts Is pure balance dog food good

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great post. I like this topic.This site has lots of advantage.I found many interesting things from this site. It helps me in many ways.Thanks for posting this again. Pure balance bison and pea dog food reviews

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing this post with us. I have read your post and really get some awesome tips and tricks. I love to share and waiting for next post as well. The comparatively small variety of vet colleges signifies that certified vets are in excessive demand. For more information please visit our website.Animal Behaviour Consulting

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing this post. I'm very interested in this topic. Vets in bundaberg As David G. Kinney now teaches his shoppers: "Belief however confirm."It is so scorching, so dusty and so darkish! I am an endurance rider and I am on the hardest endurance experience on the planet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I find something in herbal medicine good to share on here with anyone suffering from the disease such as HIV, Herpes, Hepatitis or Chronic Lyme Disease,Parkinson's disease,Schizophrenia,Lung Cancer,Breast Cancer,Colo-Rectal Cancer,Blood Cancer,Prostate Cancer,siva.Fatal Familial Insomnia Factor V Leiden Mutation ,Epilepsy Dupuytren's disease,Desmoplastic small-round-cell tumor Diabetes ,Coeliac disease,Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease,Cerebral Amyloid Angiopathy, Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Scoliosis,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity
    Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans ProgresSclerosis,Seizures,Alzheimer's disease,Adrenocortical carcinoma.Asthma,Allergic diseases.Hiv_ Aids,Herpe ,Copd,Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Alzheimer's disease,
    Dementia.
    Lupus as well.Dr Itua herbal made cure my HIV and gave me hope that he can cure all types of diseases I believed him) I do the best of myself that I can do, I went for a program in west Africa about fashion on another side I was HIV positive. I walk through a nearby village for our program schedule then I found a signage notice that says Dr Itua Herbal Center then I asked my colleagues what all about this very man called Dr Itua, She told me that he's a herbal doctor and he can cure all kind of disease i walked to him and explain myself to him as I'm a strangler out there he prepared me herbal medicine and told me how to drink it for two weeks, when I get to my hotel room I take a look at it then says a prayer before I drank it not knowing after two weeks I went to test and I found out I was negative I ran to him to pay him more but he refuses and says I should share his works for me around the globe so sick people can see as well. I'm writing a lot about him this season so that is how I was cured by drinking Dr Itua herbal medicine, He's A caring man with godly heart. Well - everything I decided all go through for me well and how you're going to treat this new aspect to your life. You don't have to suffer alone, and it's okay to ask for help. It also doesn't have to be a constant demon, as you'll get to know your body and yourself in a much deeper way than most people. Take advantage of this, as it will help you appreciate Africa Herbal Made.
    Dr Itua Contact Information.
    Email...drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com
    Whatsapp Number....+2348149277967

    ReplyDelete
  8. How can I tell which one is the best service among those mentioned on the list here?
    Ripley Vet

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is no secret that I have a very deep and personal relationship with God. I have pushed and resisted that relationship this past year through all the bullshit I have had to go through living with Herpes but once again, God is bigger than my stubbornness and broke through that outbreak cold sore and all I had Genital Herpes. For me personally, hearing over and over how I am not good enough has really invaded my mind in the worst way possible. I completely shut down and I was just waking up like is this how life going to end this temporary herpes outbreak “fuck everybody with herpes if you know what I mean” but let's be honest here...
    It is a cowardly to say no to herbal medicine. It is fear based. And it is dishonest to what my heart wants. Don't build a wall around yourself because you are afraid of herbals made or taking a bold step especially when it's come to health issues and getting cure. So many young men/ women tell me over and over that Dr Itua is going to scam me but I give him a try to today I feel like no one will ever convince me about herbal medicine I accept Dr Itua herbal medicine because it's cure my herpes just two weeks of drinking it and i have been living for a year and months now I experience outbreak no more, You can contact him if you need his herbal medicine for any such diseases like, Herpes, Schizophrenia,Cancer,Scoliosis,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans Progressiva.Fatal Familial Insomnia Factor V Leiden Mutation ,Epilepsy Dupuytren's disease,Desmoplastic,Diabetes ,Coeliac disease,Creutzfeldt–Jakob,,Lyme Disease,Epilepsy, ,ALS,Hepatitis,Copd,Parkinson disease.Genetic disease,Fibrodysplasia disease,Fibrodysplasia Ossificans Men/Woman infertility, bowel disease ,Huntington's disease ,Diabetes,Fibroid. disease,Lupus,Lipoid Storage diseases( Gauchers disease),Polycystic Disease.,Cerebral Amyloid Angiopathy, Ataxia,Cirrhosis of Liver,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis,Alzheimer's disease,Adrenocortical carcinoma.Asthma,Allergic,HIV, Epilepsy, Infertility, Love Spell,. Email..drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com then what's app.+2348149277967.... My advice to any sick men/women out there is simple... Be Always an open book. Be gut wrenching honest about yourself, your situation, and what you are all about. Don't hold anything back. Holding back will get you nowhere...maybe a one way ticket to lonelyville and that is NOT somewhere you want to be. So my final truth...and I'm just starting to grasp this one..    

    ReplyDelete
  10. How can I pick out the best product from those listed on this site?
    Vet bundaberg

    ReplyDelete
  11. My name is Louis Edmond, I am from USA. I want to share a testimony about Dr Aluya, a great spell caster who is very straight forward with his words of casting spells. When my Wife left me for another Man i was so confused,but one a day a friend of mine gave me the email address of this great spell caster called dr Aluya, I contacted this man and explained to him all that i was going through,he then told me to be calm and not worry anymore because my case is a very easy one. At first I never believed all that he was saying until when my husband returned home two days later begging me to forgive him for all that he had done to me and to please accept him back into my life,I was so amazed,I never believed it was going to happen that fast.
    This man is truly great indeed. Contact him today for a perfect solution to your love problem, aluya.48hoursspelltemple@gmail.com.  or whatsApp him  +2348110493039

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi everyone, my name is Rabueil Islam
     and am from London, I met this spell caster called Dr Aluya of aluya.48hoursspelltemple@gmail.com online and so many other, but i decided to go with this particular spell caster and this is about 2 weeks ago. I needed the spell caster to reunite me and my lover because she started behaving strange and a day came she text me and told me she cannot continue with the relationship anymore, that she just want to be alone. But a close friend of hers shows the guy to me that she was now dating. So i contacted thcomis spell caster because i was totally heart broken and i smoked and get drunk till i could not even notice if am standing or lying.This spell caster told me not to worry, he gave me hope that am to have her again just like old times, and i provided all the requirements, and in just 5 days, my ex lover called me crying over the phone asking for me to forgive her for her stupid act, and she swore with her mother grave to love me and never hurt me again.This was what the spell caster earlier told me and it came after he has done the spell and that same night, my lover came to my house and spend the night with me.I have never seen spell as powerful as this but now, am convinced that Dr Aluya is the best ever, You can contact him through him email address:aluya.48hoursspelltemple@gmail.com or WhatsApp: +2348110493039

    ReplyDelete
  13. My lover dumped for  another woman with two kids i was confused until i came
    in contact with Dr Aluya who helped me with a powerful love spell that
    brought him back within 2 days. contact Dr Aluya for help on :
    Email :aluya.48hoursspelltemple@gmail.com or WhatsApp him  +2348110493039

    ReplyDelete
  14. After being in relationship with Wilson for seven years,he broke up with me, I did everything possible to bring him back but all was in vain, I wanted him back so much because of the love I have for him, I begged him with everything, I made promises but he refused. I explained my problem to someone online and she suggested that I should contact a spell caster that could help me cast a spell to bring him back but I am the type that don’t believed in spell, I had no choice than to try it, I meant a spell caster called Dr Zuma zuk and I email him, and he told me there was no problem that everything will be okay before three days, that my ex will return to me before three days, he cast the spell and surprisingly in the second day, it was around 4pm. My ex called me, I was so surprised, I answered the call and all he said was that he was so sorry for everything that happened, that he wanted me to return to him, that he loves me so much. I was so happy and went to him, that was how we started living together happily again. Since then, I have made promise that anybody I know that have a relationship problem, I would be of help to such person by referring him or her to the only real and powerful spell caster who helped me with my own problem and who is different from all the fake ones out there. Anybody could need the help of the spell caster, his email: spiritualherbalisthealing@gmail.com or WhatsApp him +15068001647
    you can email him if you need his assistance in your relationship or anything. CONTACT HIM NOW FOR SOLUTION TO ALL YOUR PROBLEMS

    ReplyDelete
  15. DO YOU NEED A PERSONAL/BUSINESS/INVESTMENT LOAN? CONTACT US TODAY VIA WhatsApp +19292227023 Email drbenjaminfinance@gmail.com

    HELLO
    Loan Offer Alert For Everyone! Are you financially down and you need an urgent credit/financial assistance? Or are you in need of a loan to start-up/increase your business or buy your dream house. GET YOUR INSTANT LOAN APPROVAL 100% GUARANTEED TODAY NO MATTER YOUR CREDIT SCORE. WhatsApp:+19292227023 Email: drbenjaminfinance@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete