Thursday 4 September 2014

Dear Puppy, Please Don't Drink So Much Water Or You Might Seizure?

So this is some interesting stuff – well, I think so anyway! I want to thank my good friend Kate Russell for raising this with me as well. The basic question at hand here is can a puppy drink so much water in a single episode as to cause water intoxication and a hyponatraemic seizure?


Theory Refresher


Before I get into that, a quick reminder about the theory around hyponatraemia. Essentially the clinical consequences are meant to be more related to the speed of onset than the absolute decrease. Sodium is the main osmotically active substance in the body:

  • If hyponatraemia of sufficient severity develops quickly enough ((per)acutely) water will move out of the extracellular space into the cells of the central nervous system*; cerebral oedema occurs with subsequent neurological signs. These signs can vary but seizures are possible.
  • If hyponatraemia develops more slowly (chronically) then the brain has time to ‘defend’ itself which it does by losing potassium and other osmotically active particles (organic osmolytes) from the cells; this means that there is less of an osmotic gradient and less tendency for water to move into the cells.

[*Remember ‘osmosis’? Essentially the tendency for water to move from an area of low concentration of osmotically active particles (more dilute) through a semipermeable membrane (like a cell membrane) to an area where there is a higher concentration of osmotically active particles.]

Back to the point


Phew. Okay with that theory out the way, what am I going on about in this blog? Well Kate recently saw a crossbreed puppy, a few weeks old, that by all accounts had been fine until the day of presentation; let me say from now, no other historical signs suggestive of a portosystemic shunt. On that day the puppy drank ‘a lot of water’ and then vomited a couple of times. In the hours that followed she worsened becoming more lethargic until shortly after presenting to the clinic 5 hours after drinking the water, she started to have generalised seizures. The most – and more or less only – noteworthy finding on emergency database blood tests was a marked hyponatraemia of 124 mmol/l (reference interval 139-150 mmol/l); mild hyperglycaemia – definitely no hypoglycaemia. To the best of my knowledge, plasma sodium concentration in a puppy of this age is the same as for adult dogs. Anticonvulsive therapy was implemented, the hyponatraemia was corrected, the puppy slept off the drugs (!) with no further seizure activity and as far as I know is doing fine now with no recurrence.

Kate and I are also aware of another case, that time a German Shepherd puppy, with basically exactly the same history/clinical story, diagnosed marked hyponatraemia presumed to be acute in onset, same therapy and the same progression.

So back to my question, did both these puppies drink so much water in a single episode as to cause water intoxication and a hyponatraemic seizure?

A few things to say from briefly exploring online but I guess overall I am saying that yes, in theory, this could be the case..it may not seem very probable but it certainly seems possible..to me anyway...you?

Acute water intoxication is meant to be more likely if for some reason the animal is unable to adequately excrete the excess water consumed. This was induced for example experimentally in dogs given vasopressin at the time of the water load. As far as I know puppies if anything have reduced urine concentrating ability relative to adult animals, i.e. they excrete more dilute urine, rather than retain excess water. So they should not be more prone to retaining excess water consumed.

There is one* clinical case in the literature of an adult Labrador retriever who developed acute hyponatraemia (125 mmol/l) and acute neurological signs (coma) after swimming for many hours in a lake. Marked diuresis occurred spontaneously and the patient recovered with supportive care. This suggests that the dog was able to suppress vasopressin (anti-diuretic hormone) release in response to the water load…so I guess maybe this response was delayed in onset, ‘took a while to get going’? Was this what occurred with our puppies? I am not aware of diuresis being noted in either case. But maybe the vomiting that followed the water consumption relatively caused them to lose more sodium than water??

[* Toll J, Barr SC, Hickford FH. Acute water intoxication in a dog. J Vet Emerg Crit Care 1999. 9:19.]

I did find some reports in calves that were given ad lib access to water for the first time where acute water intoxication led to clinically significant hyponatraemia; but actually red cell lysis due to changes in plasma osmolality with haemoglobinaemia/haemoglobinuria seemed to be the more notable development.

I did find plentiful mention of hyponatraemic seizures in human infants that were inadvertently given low solute drinks/feed at home, especially with concurrent vomiting/diarrhoea and hence sodium loss – but diving into the reports this was at least over a few days not a one-off episode.

Psychogenic polydipsia is one of the differentials for normovolaemic hyponatraemia – but there we are talking about recurrent episodes of excessive water consumption and a chronic hyponatraemia that can be acutely decompensated by a suitable trigger. These puppies mentioned above did not have that in their life stories.

I don’t think our puppies had syndrome of inappropriate antidiuresis.

There are also lots of reports of humans drinking too much water during endurance events resulting in clinically significant acute hyponatraemia – but again I believe this is over hours-days, multiple episodes of water intake.

Anyway, that’s me done. If I am over-complicating this, if anyone knows any references I have not uncovered, if anyone can shed any more light or discussion…as always, please do!

Thanks.

ADDENDUM:


See further discussion about this HERE.

6 comments:

  1. I came across this posted by someone on Facebook after Kate had shared this blog. "I had a case - adult GSD been playing with water from hose for hours previous afternoon came in seizuring approx 10 hours later with verifiable Na of 120mmol/l". Interesting, very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. From Facebook:

    Wouldn't the CNS recognize the change in osmolality to the point of turning off the thirst center? Could the patient described have had nephrotic syndrome or hepatic failure/HE or anything that may have altered neuro chemistry to affect normal thirst mechanisms? (David Liss)

    My response:

    - Regarding the question of how drinking would/should be switched off. My understanding is that this is meant to occur in 2 ways: 1) Drinking stimulates mechanoreceptors in the mouth and pharynx. These peripheral receptors provide input to the hypothalamus and the sensation of thirst is reduced. 2) As the stomach becomes distended with water, this also is fed back to the hypothalamus to attenuate thirst. Both of these would occur before any reduction in plasma tonicity, i.e. as it takes time for the water to be absorbed from the intestinal tract and hence extracellular fluid to be affected with reduction in osmolality. In the puppies here I guess we are saying that for whatever reasons these mechanisms did not attenuate thirst. But I think at least some of the other scenarios I mention in the blog show that this failure is something that does occur.

    - Regarding hepatic failure: severe liver disease is certainly a differential for (hypervolaemic) hyponatraemia but as mentioned in the blog the puppies were healthy beforehand and subsequently, with no clinicopathological findings supportive of liver failure; and the speed and completeness of their recovery could not in my view occur if they had on-going liver failure with/without hepatic encephalopathy.

    My thoughts and thanks a lot for the interesting ideas. Very interested to hear any other comments or holes in these arguments!

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Among the products mentioned on the list, which one is the best?
    Bundaberg vets

    ReplyDelete
  4. My name is Louis Edmond, I am from USA. I want to share a testimony about Dr Aluya, a great spell caster who is very straight forward with his words of casting spells. When my Wife left me for another Man i was so confused,but one a day a friend of mine gave me the email address of this great spell caster called dr Aluya, I contacted this man and explained to him all that i was going through,he then told me to be calm and not worry anymore because my case is a very easy one. At first I never believed all that he was saying until when my husband returned home two days later begging me to forgive him for all that he had done to me and to please accept him back into my life,I was so amazed,I never believed it was going to happen that fast.
    This man is truly great indeed. Contact him today for a perfect solution to your love problem, aluya.48hoursspelltemple@gmail.com.  or whatsApp him  +2348110493039

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi everyone, my name is Rabueil Islam
     and am from London, I met this spell caster called Dr Aluya of aluya.48hoursspelltemple@gmail.com online and so many other, but i decided to go with this particular spell caster and this is about 2 weeks ago. I needed the spell caster to reunite me and my lover because she started behaving strange and a day came she text me and told me she cannot continue with the relationship anymore, that she just want to be alone. But a close friend of hers shows the guy to me that she was now dating. So i contacted thcomis spell caster because i was totally heart broken and i smoked and get drunk till i could not even notice if am standing or lying.This spell caster told me not to worry, he gave me hope that am to have her again just like old times, and i provided all the requirements, and in just 5 days, my ex lover called me crying over the phone asking for me to forgive her for her stupid act, and she swore with her mother grave to love me and never hurt me again.This was what the spell caster earlier told me and it came after he has done the spell and that same night, my lover came to my house and spend the night with me.I have never seen spell as powerful as this but now, am convinced that Dr Aluya is the best ever, You can contact him through him email address:aluya.48hoursspelltemple@gmail.com or WhatsApp: +2348110493039

    ReplyDelete
  6. My lover dumped for  another woman with two kids i was confused until i came
    in contact with Dr Aluya who helped me with a powerful love spell that
    brought him back within 2 days. contact Dr Aluya for help on :
    Email :aluya.48hoursspelltemple@gmail.com or WhatsApp him  +2348110493039

    ReplyDelete